Welcome to the Town of Smithfield's Employment center. We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Grounds Maintenance Specialist (Essential Personnel) - Public Works Department
Position Closes: April 5, 2019
Starting Pay: $12.86 per hour
Under direct supervision, performs a combination of manual labor and light equipment operation for the purpose of maintaining and or repairing Town properties, streets, public facilities and utility system components. Performs related work as required.
- Performs varied grounds keeping duties such as mowing grass, blowing and/or vacuuming leaves, cutting trees and limbs, sweeping sidewalks, shoveling snow and removing debris and trash from Town properties using equipment such as zero turn mowers, walk behind mowers, blowers, bush hogs, tractors, etc.
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools in the performance of assigned tasks including mowers, chain saws, shovels, brooms, weed eaters, etc.
- Cleans storm drains; Performs occasional painting.
- Picks up trash and dead animals.
- Keeps flower beds clean.
- Installs street and other traffic control signs.
- Directs traffic around work site.
- Obtains, transports and accounts for materials and supplies needed to perform work.
- Maintains equipment and ensures its proper working condition. Reports equipment, materials or supply problems to supervisor.
- Spray for pesticides (Requires Registered Technician Certification)
- Perform V-DOT Flagging activities as necessary
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED preferred
- Must possess a valid Virginia Drivers’ license
- A minimum of 5-11 months previous experience with grounds keeping and/or manual labor preferred
- Prior experience with the use of zero turn mowers, chainsaws, bush hogs, and/or tractors is preferred
- V-DOT Flagging Certification required (or must obtain within 6 months of employment)
- Registered Technician Certification for pesticide spraying required (or must obtain within 6 months of employment)
Tasks involve regular and sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that generally involves lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50) pounds.
Requires the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating light equipment, power tools and performing manual labor.
Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate depths. Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Most tasks require oral communications ability.
Tasks may risk exposure to traffic hazards, adverse weather conditions, dust, pollen, odors, and loud noise.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Parks & Recreation Helper - Parks & Recreation Department (Temporary, Part-Time)
Position Closes: April 5, 2019
Starting Pay: $10.00 per hour
Under direct supervision, performs kayak rental activities at Windsor Castle Park. In addition, light Trail, Playscape and Dog Park maintenance activities will be performed using basic grounds maintenance equipment (shovel, rake, etc.).
- Safely lifts, moves and stores kayaks that weigh between 40-70 pounds
- Operation of electronic devices (Smart Phones, tablets) to receive inquiries and reservations via phone and email
- Operation of register application on electronic device to process orders
- Use reservation calendar to ensure kayaks are not double-booked
- Appropriately clean kayaks when returned
- Provide basic instructions to customers regarding water safety and kayaking practices
- Maintain knowledge of weather threats to determine if kayak rentals can be done safely
- Answer basic questions about Windsor Castle Park
- Perform light Trail maintenance at Windsor Castle Park
- Perform light grounds maintenance at Playscape and Dog Park
- Performs related duties as required.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills
- Basic knowledge of kayak craft operation and water safety is preferred
- Experience using basic grounds maintenance tools (rake, shovel, etc.) is preferred.
- Must possess the ability to work each weekend during the kayak rental season (May 4, 2019 – September 29, 2019).
Tasks involve regular or sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling that generally involves lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (50-75 pounds).
Tasks may risk exposure to traffic hazards, adverse weather conditions, dust, pollen, odors and loud noise.
The Town of Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.