Welcome to the Town of Smithfield's Employment center. We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Parks Maintenance Specialist - Essential Personnel -
Parks & Recreation Department
Position Closes: July 31, 2019
Starting Pay: $13.05 per hour
Under general supervision, assists with maintenance of town park facilities. Duties include parks and ground maintenance, custodial maintenance of buildings and related facilities and equipment used in the maintenance of these facilities. Work hours may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Assists Parks Maintenance Supervisor to ensure that the Town’s parks facilities are maintained in excellent condition. Parks facilities include Luter Sports Complex, Windsor Castle Park, Clontz Park, the Smithfield Center, and other pocket parks.
- Assists with the turf and landscape maintenance, sports field preparation, landscape construction, irrigation, playground repair and maintenance, mowing, trail maintenance, and other operations as required.
- Utilize hand tools as well as various electric and gas operated tools and equipment such as trucks, tractors, loaders, backhoes, trenchers, and other equipment as assigned in the maintenance and operation of previously state parks.
- Assists in the installation of holiday decorations annually
- Schedule requires the ability to work irregular hours, weekends, evenings, holidays and/or in emergency situations. Often works during various Town special events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED preferred
- Must possess a valid Virginia drivers’ license
- A minimum of 6-12 months previous experience with grounds keeping, athletic field maintenance and/or manual labor preferred
- Basic knowledge of equipment, materials, techniques and supplies used in the maintenance of parks, trails and open space preferred
- Must possess Registered Technician Certification for pesticide spraying or achieve said Certification within one (1) year of employment.
Position requires successful completion of a post-offer physical, background check and drug sreen. This position also participates in random drug screening pool.
Tasks involve regular and sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that generally involves lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of heavy objects and materials (75-100) pounds.
Requires the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating light equipment, power tools and performing manual labor.
Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate depths. Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Most tasks require oral communications ability.
Tasks may risk exposure to traffic hazards, adverse weather conditions, dust, pollen, odors, and loud noise.
The Town of Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.