Planning & Zoning Administrator
Positon Closes: Open until Filled
Salary: Begins at $48,012
Under general supervision, oversees the daily operations of planning, zoning and code enforcement. Duties include maintaining and administering plans, ordinances and codes, representing town boards, and coordinating the review of development applications, site plans, subdivision plans and plats for compliance with planning and zoning regulations. Assists property owners and other parties with planning and zoning related issues. Work involves assigning, supervising and reviewing the work of the Planner and Planning Technician/Code Enforcement Official.
- Maintains and administers zoning ordinance, subdivision ordinance, Chesapeake Bay ordinance and program and Flood Plain ordinance and program. Coordinates zoning permit, special use permits and rezoning applications and Comprehensive Plan and ordinance updates and amendments.
- Coordinates application and review of site plans, subdivision plans and plats for compliance with related ordinances, regulations and standards.
- Performs residential site plan reviews for zoning, environmental and erosion and sediment control compliance.
- Coordinates with outside agencies and performs zoning and environmental review on subdivision and commercial plans.
- Responsible for issuance of zoning permits once plan reviews are complete.
- Prepares correspondence to adjacent property owners and applicants regarding planning and zoning related activities and services. Mails public notices to property owners concerning public hearings.
- Creates maps on GIS, maintains layers and database for all town departments.
- Coordinates GIS data mapping and addresses with Isle of Wight County and creates zoning distribution maps and future land use maps.
- Meets with and response to questions/requests from property owners, applicants, developers and other interested parties regarding planning, zoning and environmental issues.
- Researches property information; creates and maintains project files.
- Enters data into zoning permit databases and maintains files in automated information system.
- Generates and presents agenda and attends Planning Commission and Board of Historic and Architectural Review meetings as Staff Representative on a monthly basis, oversees the same for the Board of Zoning Appeals. Presents planning and zoning related issues to the Town Council.
- Oversees assigning, supervising, and reviewing work of the Planner and Planning Technician/Code Enforcement Official.
- Assists Director with various management related and special projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree with course work emphasis in planning, public administration or a related field.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in public planning work.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred.
- Must possess VA Association of Zoning Officials Certified Zoning Administrator (CZA) certification or be willing to obtain within one year of employment.
- DEQ Erosion & Sediment Control Combined Administrator Certification required or willing to obtain within one year of employment.
- Must possess excellent attention to detail.
- Requires strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS software as well as MS Office applications required.
- Must possess a customer service focused attitude.
- Must possess knowledge of operating standard office equipment.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 50 pounds).
Requires the ability to perform skilled coordinated movements, such as inspecting sites, driving a vehicle and using a keyboard.
Tasks may risk exposure to adverse environmental conditions such as weather, traffic, dust, odors and noise.