Welcome to the Town of Smithfield's Employment center.
Waterworks Plant Manager - Essential Personnel (Public Works)
The Town of Smithfield is looking for an individual to join our team in the Public Works department as Waterworks Plant Manager. Starting pay for this full-time position begins at $43,549.
Essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as Virginia Department of Health Operator in Responsible Charge.
- Ensures that the RO Plant is operated in accordance with Federal and State regulations, and the Safe Drinking Water Act. Submits required operational and groundwater reports to regulatory agencies including Virginia Department of Health, Department of Environmental Quality, Environmental Protection Agency, and Hampton Roads Sanitation District.
- Plans, coordinates, and oversees the operations of the Reverse Osmosis Plant.
- Develops and maintains preventive maintenance and operating procedures for Waterworks Plant and associated wells, etc...
- Ensures efficient operation of the RO Plant and that water quality standards are maintained.
- Performs a variety of administrative work including, but not limited to maintaining an inventory of process chemicals and other supplies, coordinating maintenance activities, the writing of standard operating and maintenance procedures
- Responsible for the effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities.
- Resolves any technical difficulties and discrepancies involving membranes, chemical dosage changes, well pump changes, safety hazards, and other areas in connection with the reverse osmosis process. Troubleshoots equipment and process problems, and works to find the solutions.
- Monitors and controls the RO Plant using computer control system and visually observing the process to ensure efficient operation and water quality standards are maintained. Monitors well operations and adjusts the pumping rates. Monitors and adjusts chemical feeds.
- Performs mechanical work in the operation, maintenance, and repair of water mechanical, alarm and control systems. Diagnosis operational and mechanical problems within all Town water production, storage and distribution assets.
- Collects water samples and performs tests for conditions such as turbidity, conductivity, fluoride levels, chlorine levels, and pH levels.
- Assists in operating and maintaining other components of the Town water system including back up emergency well facilities, elevated storage tanks, altitude valves, distribution lines, etc.
- Works on-call rotation and shift work as necessary
- Performs work safely in accordance with Federal, State and Departmental/Town safety procedures, policies and programs.
- Performs work outdoors in all weather conditions and indoors at the RO Plant. Must be able to perform duties under disagreeable and sometimes hazardous conditions. Performs manual labor utilizing hand tools and power operated equipment, and handles hazardous chemicals.
- Maintains area around work sites, both inside and outside. Performs cleaning functions.
- Delivers presentations before city leaders, agencies and community groups as needed.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- High School diploma or GED required
- Five (5) years previous experience and/or training that includes water treatment plant and water system maintenance work
- Valid Virginia Class 3 Waterworks Operator’s License is required
- Considerable knowledge in the fields of mechanical maintenance, plumbing and basic electrical work
- Considerable knowledge of water treatment plant operations and maintenance, processes, procedures and state and federal regulations pertaining to water treatment.
- Considerable knowledge of water chemistry, water sampling, and test techniques involved in determining conductivity, chorine residual, turbidity, pH, alkalinity and other similar tests.
- General knowledge of computer word processing, data base and spreadsheet software programs.
- Skill in the use of precision hand tools and instrumentation (Ultrameters, Colorimeters, Turbidimeters, etc.).
- Ability to perform difficult mathematical calculations in calculating chemical dosages, converting units of weights and measures, and performing laboratory tests.
- Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license.
- Must be able to work shift work and be on call on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Must be willing to carry a pager/phone 24 hours a day in order to respond to problems with components of the water treatment plant and storage & distribution systems.
- Previous management experience preferred
- Must be detail oriented
This position involves regular and sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling and may involve lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of 50-75 pounds.
The successful candidate must satisfactorily complete a background check and drug screening.
The Town of Smithfield employment application is required and may be obtained at Town Hall, 310 Institute Street, or may be completed electronically.
This position is open until filled.
We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.