Welcome to the Town of Smithfield's Employment center.
Laborer (Essential Personnel)
Under direct supervision, performs a combination of manual labor and light equipment operation for the purpose of maintaining and or repairing Town properties, streets, public facilities and utility system components.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
- Performs varied grounds keeping duties such as mowing grass, blowing and/or vacuuming leaves, cutting trees and limbs, sweeping sidewalks, shoveling snow and removing debris and trash from Town properties. Operates a variety of hand and power tools in the performance of assigned tasks including mowers, chain saws, shovels, brooms, weed eaters, etc.
- Cleans storm drains; Performs occasional painting.
- Picks up trash and dead animals.
- Keeps flower beds clean.
- Reports equipment, materials or supply problems to supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED preferred
- Must possess a valid drivers’ license
- A minimum of 5-11 months previous experience with grounds keeping and/or manual labor preferred
Tasks involve regular and sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that generally involves lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50) pounds.
Requires the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating light equipment, power tools and performing manual labor.
Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate depths. Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Most tasks require oral communications ability.
Tasks may risk exposure to traffic hazards, adverse weather conditions, dust, pollen, odors, and loud noise.
We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.